Monday, December 12, 2011

Mondays

Let's be real...we hate Mondays right? Not sure why...guess because it's the first day you have to get back to work after a couple of days of "down time". But everything that can go wrong, for some reason, seems to go wrong on Mondays. Or maybe we just notice it more...not sure...whatever the reason. I'm not a big fan.

For this Monday, I'm willing to make an exception.

You wouldn't think any morning I have to get up at 5:30 AM would be a day I'd call "good" but I'd been looking forward to the A Future Not A Past breakfast since Kelly told me we'd be going. It started at 7:30 so I knew I needed to leave early to beat Atlanta traffic. The breakfast was really informative and interesting. It was great to learn that though Atlanta still has one of the highest rates of trafficking in the nation, Shared Hope International's newest study ranked Georgia #6 in the nation for dealing with the issue. To see Georgia's  (or other states) "report card", check out this link. You'll get an idea of what we've done well as well as recommendations on things we still need to do. The good news is, a difference is definitely being made!

After the breakfast, I went to the office and answered emails. I'm ecstatic that for the first time since I started at Wellspring Living my inbox was actually under 20! This was a short lived success but I enjoyed it while it lasted! (lol)

Around one, I headed toward the girls' home. In my Rav, I'd loaded gift baskets for the girls made by a local church, folders and other office supplies our Logistics Coordinator had requested, and a "stack" of gift cards a local church in Fayetteville had collected. Wellspring Living's ministry depends so much on volunteers and donations like these! And both those things fall under my job description!

This Monday was one of my favorites at the home. We'd spent the last six weeks talking about finding a job...resume writing, looking for jobs, preparing for job interviews, the do's and don'ts of job interviews, etc. Thanks to an awesome volunteer, we were able to wrap up the class by having mock interviews! Kem called some people she knows and we had three ladies-Debbie from Moe's, Patti from Dogwood Church, and Peggy from an affiliate of Delta-come in and interview the girls and give them feedback. The girls knew they were coming and most were really excited about it. They really engaged in the interviews and appreciated the feedback. My heart broke when several of them were open about the fact they struggled with what to reveal and what not to reveal during the interview. They are afraid of being judged...and don't want to be pitied. All of them agreed it was a good exercise and a great way to wrap up this class. And the three women had a good time as well.

That's that for job hunting! I'm waiting to see what my next "assignment" for the girls will be.

After that, I went back to the office for a bit, made some calls and answered some more emails. Then it was home for dinner and relaxation with the kids. And it was the first time in a long time I was actually in bed before midnight. I blame the 5:30 alarm for that one!

Thanks for a great day Monday...maybe I'll cut you some slack when you roll around next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment